Call: 662-234-3930 | 1623 Highway 30 E Oxford, Mississippi 38655

When it comes to the health of canines, it’s important to be aware of what they can and cannot eat. One common concern and question we get from dog owners is whether or not their dogs can safely eat chocolate.

As a responsible pet owner, it’s crucial to understand that chocolate can be toxic to dogs. Theobromine, a substance found in chocolate, is difficult for dogs to metabolize and can lead to various health issues.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested chocolate, it is recommended to contact your veterinarian immediately. They will be able to assess the situation based on factors such as the type and amount of chocolate consumed, as well as the size and overall health of your dog.

Remember, prevention is key when it comes to keeping our pets safe and healthy. It’s best to keep all forms of chocolate out of reach from our four-legged friends and opt for dog-friendly treats instead.

Here is a great follow up article from Pet Md on chocolate consumption for dogs.

If you think your dog has ingested chocolate and you can’t get your normal veterinarian, please contact us at 662-234-3930 or visit our website at Oxford Veterinary Clinic.