Call: 662-234-3930 | 1623 Highway 30 E Oxford, Mississippi 38655
Select Page
Used foil with food on it on top of the garbage is a easy dangerous treat for a dog

Dogs eating tin foil is a pretty common occurrence. We, humans, tend to wrap a lot of cooked or uncooked food in foil. Dogs smell it and and eat what’s leftover on the foil and the foil itself. If your dog eats tin foil, it is important to take immediate action to ensure their health and safety. While tin foil may seem harmless, it can actually pose a risk to your dog’s digestive system.

The first step you should take is to contact your veterinarian. They will be able to provide you with professional guidance tailored specifically to your dog’s situation. It is important not to panic, as your veterinarian will be able to assess the severity of the situation and advise you on the best course of action.

In some cases, if the amount of tin foil ingested is small and there are no immediate signs of distress, your veterinarian may recommend monitoring your dog closely for any symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain. However, if a large amount of tin foil has been consumed or if your dog starts showing any concerning symptoms, they may advise bringing your dog in for an examination.

It is crucial not to attempt any home remedies or induce vomiting without consulting a professional first. Your veterinarian will have the knowledge and expertise necessary to determine the most appropriate treatment for your dog’s specific situation.

Here is a great article from hepper on what to do if your dog does eat foil.

Remember that prevention is always better than cure. It is important to keep potentially harmful objects like tin foil out of reach from pets in order to avoid such incidents in the future. Regularly pet-proofing your home can go a long way in ensuring the safety and well-being of your furry friend.

If you ever have any questions about your pet please call us at Oxford Veterinary Clinic at 662-234-3930.